INEND is a local not-for-profit organisation that researches and undertakes strategic actions towards equality, acceptance and inclusion in the Coast Region of Kenya. We share experiences and collaborate with other stakeholders in an effort to contribute towards tolerance, non-discrimination, acceptance and inclusion of sexual and gender minorities (SGMs).
INEND recognises the universality of human rights in the pursuit of democracy through the participation of everyone in an open, just and democratic society. In the current context however, many sexual and gender minorities have not had the opportunity to engage openly due to laws, policies and attitudes which criminalise activities and people, even beyond what is provided for in existing laws. These in turn, have resulted in threats, insecurity and harassment and thus sexual and gender minorities, who are seen to not be conforming with societal norms, have been forced to operate underground and under high risk, merely because of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity.
In close cooperation with the Executive Director, the student volunteer will be involved in:
- Research and documentation.
- Program design and implementation at the organization in the assigned project.
- Produce, share, and manage information of the organization by updating the website, face book page, twitter and writing reports of all the activities they will be involved in.
- Develop and maintain a monitoring and Evaluation system.
- The volunteer will be supervised by the Executive Director and the progam officer.
While the organization is not able to provide housing, it will be able to work with the student to identify a safe place to stay at a reasonable cost.